History of Warnborough College

Warnborough College was founded in Oxford in 1973. From its very beginning as a small, independent college for adult education, Warnborough College has been committed to academic quality based on its Oxford roots. Originally founded for visiting American students keen to experience the Oxford Socratic method of learning, Warnborough soon acquired an increasing number of international students who had the opportunity to study English and take courses for university entrance.

There was considerable support for the founding of Warnborough. Former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher sent her warmest wishes for a successful future. Sir Christopher White, Bart., the Lord Mayor of Oxford, and other dignitaries spoke at the inaugural reception held at Rhodes House, Oxford of the enthusiasm that the college had received in Oxford.

From its beginning, Warnborough obtained sponsorship from many American educators including the Presidents of Duke University, the Catholic University of America, Hampshire College, Bradford College, Hobart and William Smith Colleges; the Chancellors of North Carolina State University and the Claremont Colleges; the Bishops of the Dioceses of South Carolina, California and Western Massachusetts; and the President of the National Council of Churches of America.

1980 - 1990

During the 1980s and 1990s, Warnborough expanded its facilities and programmes to cater for an increase in international students from all over the world. Several governments sponsored students to study at Warnborough. Popular International Summer Schools (ISS) were held at the universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh and London and became appealed to mature American students. Further expansion in 1985 saw the successful launch of a study abroad programme in Australia for American students. In 1987, the Archbishop of Canterbury authorised the appointment of an Honorary Chaplain to Warnborough, who was also responsible for the Warnborough Australian Studies Program.

1990 - Present

The Boars Hill campus in Oxford reached its capacity by the early 1990s. It was sold in 1992 and then leased until the college relocated in 1996. 1996 was also the year in which the college made the decision to embrace the new technology offered by the Internet to offer its courses by distance learning. Today, this technology forms the backbone of our short courses, certificates and diplomas offered through our Academy for Distance Learning.

Warnborough moved to the famous cathedral and university city of Canterbury in 2001. Like Oxford, Canterbury is steeped in history, being the first place in England where education was formalised. It is somewhat poetic that the Archbishop of Canterbury had appointed an honorary chaplain to Warnborough over a decade beforehand. Warnborough's worldwide headquarters in Canterbury administer programmes (both taught and by distance learning) as well as its other interests such as its publishing arm and its charity work.

Visit the website of Warnborough College New Window

Ma'adi Branch

  • Maadi
    3b Maadi Corniche, Engineers Building Next to the Nile Badrawi Hospital & HSBC Bank Maadi, Cairo, Egypt
  • Phone
    +20 2 252 83 192
    +20 128 990 60 10
    +20 128 890 4022

Head Office

  • Nasrcity
    73 El Nasr Road Tiba Mall Building
    Nasr City, Cairo
    Egypt
  • Phone
    +20 2 240 26 422
    +20 1280 208 208
    +20 1280 30 90 66

Go to contact page